Immersed in beauty and suffering within a love-sustained Universe:
What are we called to be and do?
The beauty of the earth is the first beauty. Millions of years before us the earth lived in wild elegance.
- John O’Donohue, Beauty
In the days of his flesh, “the gaze of Jesus” looked on the natural world with attention full of fondness and wonder.
- Elizabeth Johnson, Creation and the Cross
In the face of the threat to the planetary community, we need a distinctive way of looking at the world that will cherish it and, together with a prophetic lifestyle and mystical spirituality, will generate resistance to the ecological assault.
- The Earth Community is an interconnected web of life.
- Life within the web is sustained by diversity.
- Every creature in the web deserves respect.
- Justice and peace are integral to the life of the web.
- Compassion toward all leads to healing and reconciliation.
- Creation tends toward communion whose ultimate expression is love.