FOCUS 2016 - 2017
also involves protecting the cultural treasurers of humanity in the broadest sense….Culture is more than what we have inherited from the past; it is also, and above all, a living, dynamic and participatory reality, which cannot be excluded as we rethink the relationship between human beings and the environment.
-- Laudato Sí! No. 143, Pope Francis, 2016
We need millions of people ready to put the future back in the room….
-- World Changing, ed. Alex Steffen, Abrams, NY 2011
A sustainable world is as much dependent on sustainable culture as it is on sustainable environments. Unless we can develop a culture that engages all its citizens, that embraces and cherishes all its members no amount of recycling will save us.
-- Keynote Speech, Outback Summit, Jon Hawkes, 2003
- The Earth Community is an interconnected web of life.
- Life within the web is sustained by diversity.
- Every creature in the web deserves respect.
- Justice and peace are integral to the life of the web.
- Compassion toward all leads to healing and reconciliation.
- Creation tends toward communion whose ultimate expression is love.